Friday, March 2, 2007



Merciful God in Heaven Above!





I missed the announcement that McDonalds had a double Filet -o- Fish available. When did this come out? Why wasn't I notifed? Where was I? Am I the last to know?

Here's the thing-- up until I saw this with my own eyes I only thought of the double Filet-o-Fish as something from a Sci-Fi novel, or the punchline if you were looking for something fantastic, such as this quote by Stanley Kubrick in 1972 regarding his just-released "Clockwork Orange":


"Mr. Kubrick said that film criticism, good or had, rarely affected him. 'No reviewer has ever illuminated any aspect of my work for me,' he observed. 'The only thing remotely possible to altering my view would be if McDonald's announced they could make a Double Filet-O-Fish.'"

New York Times -- 4th January, 1972


See? See?

A double Filet-o-Fish was just fantasy, speculative, or from the future. I remember fondly episode 78 of classic Star Trek, where Spock hangs out in that cave and falls in love with Mariette Hartley:


"I have eaten a Double Filet-o-Fish, and enjoyed it."

Spock, episode 78 "All Our Yesterdays"


See? See? I'm just still amazed. Really. I knew it would happen someday, but not in my lifetime. It's kind of like Christ coming back to earth. Why now? Why is our generation so special of the hundreds of generations before and the doubtless thousands more generations to follow that Jesus would return NOW?

And by the same token, why are we blessed with being able to order a Double Filet-o-Fish at McDonalds? Why is society (humanity) NOW ready for this? What other surprises are coming? The mind reels.

(I only pray our children never take the Double Filet-o-Fish for granted.)

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Red Wing, Minnesota, United States